Sunday, August 8, 2010

Land Raider WIP

The next item on my Grey Knights list is a Land Raider. Frankly, I've wanted to build one of these for a while, and could hardly wait to get started. Painting the Dreadnought had to wait!

There's quite a few folks out there who, despite the fact the inside a vehicle/aircraft will seldom be seen, feel the need to paint it. This despite my paint pot procrastinating tendancies. Probably for the same reason the folks at GW put some time into detailing the inside. The Land Raider kit has nice detail, and I looked at it as a chance to play around with ideas.

The top picture is the engine compartment and a control panel. My favorite part is the brass fittings, which are done using a Tin Bitz base over light grey primer, overcoated with Burnished Gold and a Badab Black wash. The skull and gear icon was my first attempt at mirroring colors. I like the way it looks, and was looking for an excuse to try it.

Next is a picture of the sides. Here was an experiment in yellow using VMC Light Yellow and Gryphonne Sepia wash. I'm wondering if I got a bad batch of Gryphonne Sepia, as it comes out of the pot looking orangish. I imagined it as something much more yellow. Also here is a failed experiment with highlighting the edges, probably not going to use that much again.

I do have some Forgeword Grey Knight doors for this. I got the Land Raider, including the doors, in a good deal on Ebay, still much cheaper than what a Land Raider would cost in a store. Timing is everything. Here is the inside of the front, top hatch. Very happy with the colors, and am actually looking forward to having some red on the outside as well. After looking at this picture, I touch up some spots I had missed. May have to take pictures of everything from now on...

An odd part about the side doors is that they were too small. I'm not sure if that is the case with all FW Land Raider doors. If I had bought these direct from FW, I would have called about the problem. One bad thing about buying second hand, you can't take advantage of FW customer service. It's a relatively easy fix. I glued thin strips of plasticard around the outside, filed away any overlap, so it should be unnoticable after a good priming. Fix is on the left here, next to the other door still needing to be done.

4 comments:

  1. lol...you go from procrastinating to "all-in". The interior work is awesome. I love the engine and I am partial to the mottled green of the readout screens. Not sure if that effect was deliberate but it looks great.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think my issue may be in painting the outside.

    I tried two different things with the readout screens. Both use VMC Yellow Green and GW Asurman Blue wash. The bank of screens is simply a mix of the two. All the others are painted VMC Yellow Green first, and then washed with the Asurman Blue, which gives the mottled effect. I like the mottled look , and will be using that again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice detailing on the inside, I never knew there is so much stuff inside a Land Raider. Good luck with the outside job now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh-huh. My interior didn't turn up even half as good, sigh. "Fortunately" it's almost invisible once you put it together.

    Nice work! As for the doors, I believe it's because resin shrinks when it cools down. I've been hearing about doors being to small often enough.

    ReplyDelete