Monday, April 19, 2010


So, as some of you know, I enjoy building more than painting, and actually don't play though I do enjoy watching a game now and again. Getting a solid block of time where I could play would be a challenge. I build and paint an hour or two at a time, mainly in the evenings and never without interruption. My oldest son does like to play though, so most of my work does get time on the table. His birthday was a couple weeks ago, and there was food and fun for all. He and three of his friends were joined by my youngest and one of his friends for a 2v2v2 game. I don't think they finished the game, but the party was a success.

So now there are at least three birthday parties following his, one of which was yesterday, and all of them have or will involve playing Warhammer 40K. My son wanted to give one of his friends a painted figure, and asked me if I would paint one up. I said I would, providing I got to pick the figure. He agreed, and I chose Skulltaker.

For the base, I borrowed the idea given by Ron over at ++ From the Warp ++. In his post on Bloodthirster base painting, step by step, he showed how he makes bases so they look like they have marble tile. I liked this, and decided to try it out for myself. About the only thing different I did was to not thin the washes as much as he recommended, and I followed up with a thin wash of Gryphonne Sepia toward the end of the painting to tie it all together. Also, painting Skulltaker was not completely done when I attached him to the base. I needed him attached to the base because I used the base to hold the model while I finished painting. You can see in this picture the rubbed-off primer on the sword, which is what I had been holding on to most to this point.

Not having a lot of time to get it painted before the party, and not having much experience with painting red, I also decided to borrow the ideas of another blogger. In this case, I followed pretty closely the Painted Skulltaker tutorial posted by Master Darksol. I like the way he lays out his tutorials, which include a picture a most every step, including the paint used.

The main difference in my effort was that I used light grey primer instead of black. Can't really tell in the finished product. Some other differences are from not having the recommended colors, so I substituted. I also combined a couple of the Heavy Devlan Mud wash steps. There was a point where my way of painting would have painted over a wash, then reapplied the same color wash, so I combined the two wash steps after painting the two areas. When I took these pictures, I noticed I had not done the eyes or teeth yet, and I forgot to take a picture of the finished piece.

Two great tutorials helped a lot here, with a resulting success. He received it yesterday, and was very happy with it.


  1. If you would not have said anything, I would never have noticed that you didn't finish painting anything on the model.
    This really is solid work. Even though you don't play, you really should enter a few models into the Golden Daemon. If this is the quality of work you do on a short notice, I can imagine what a piece that you seriously dedicate time to will look like.

  2. The painting looks excellent. We both share that nervous dance with painting, that's for sure. Kudos to you for encouraging the kids to play.


  3. Awesome Job, it looks great! I'm glad that step-by-step helped out, and thanks for the shout out! :)

  4. @ Magilla Gurilla - I'd like to think I could fair well in the Golden Daemon. While I can follow directions very well, GD winners I've seen have a creativity I can't quite grasp. Perhaps after I get a bit more painting practice in. Thanks!

    @Col Hessler - Trouble with encouraging the youngsters is that I'll suddenly find that half painted figure missing on the same day he's off gaming. Wouldn't be so bad if he remembered to put it back on work bench ;)

    @ Master Darksol - Couldn't have finished this in time without your great tutorial. Thanks again!